Revealing Hidden Files and folders
The following guide will show you how to make any hidden files and folders on your PC visible. This is often times needed when troubleshooting different types of software issues.
- Open any folder on your PC.
- Press the alt key – a menu should appear at the top.
- Click on Tools > Folder Options.
- Go to the View section.
- Look for an option labeled Show Hidden files, folders, and drives and check it.
- Click on OK.
Now, you should be able to see any hidden files and folders on your PC. Unlike files/folders that are not hidden, the icons of the ones that are hidden will appear transparent (yet visible). If you want to make them invisible again, go back to the same folder options and this time select Don’t show Hidden files, folders, and drives.
In case you are wondering how you can make a file or a folder hidden, so that they aren’t visible unless the Show Hidden files, folders, and drives is checked, here is a short guide about that:
- Right-click on the file/folder you want to make invisible.
- Select Properties.
- In the resulting Properties window, place a tick in the checkbox next to Hidden.
- Now, click on OK. The file/folder should now appear transparent but not invisible.
- Press F5 to refresh Windows Explorer and now the selected file/folder should no longer be visible.
Hiding your files and folders via this method is an effective way of protecting personal files from other users that might use the PC. However be advised that this technique does not protect the data against malware and PC viruses such as Ransomware and Trojans.